Tuesday, May 19, 2015

We're Getting Carried Away with Learning! Fun with Open House Themes




Open House is right around the corner for me... as in next week! To help prepare, I decided to look at some of the pictures I took from last year's open house.


I've never been one to have a year long classroom theme, but I LOVE creating a theme for open house. I think having an open house theme makes the evening feel like a fun celebration showcasing the students' hard work. In the past, I used to do an elaborate Hollywood themed open house. You can read about that by clicking here


Last school year was my first year in a new school and a new district and I felt like a first year teacher all over again. I had to simplify open house. I decided to go with a "We're Getting Carried Away with Learning" theme and use fun balloons as decor. It wasn't quite as a exciting as my Hollywood theme, but it still helped create a fun and festive evening.


This picture shows a general idea of what the room looked like. My sweet mother-in-law is in the background hanging last minute things to the wall (gotta love family members who are willing to help!).



One thing that I love to do to help make the room look nice is add inexpensive plastic table cloths to the desks. 


Each year about 2 weeks before open house, I have my students do a compliment project where they write a sincere compliment to each person in the class. The students wrote their compliments on each person's balloon. I hung the balloons from the ceiling. The parents and students love reading about what their classmates said about them. I always write a nice note on the balloon to each child as well.


As you can see, simple touches can go a long way in making your classroom look fun and inviting for open house or other classroom events.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...